Kenwood Car MP3 Player No LCD

pks00

Inactive User
Reaction score
Anyone ever suffered from the fate of the lcd detachable face plate not showing text anymore?

I got a Kenwood KDC-W4031. Got it few years back and cant complain, its pretty good. Still works fine but only occasionally does the display appear then gradually disappears. Most of the time, it doesnt appear at all.

I would expect fixing it would cost more but hoping there might be a simple solution to try.

if its a rotating front could be the ribbon cable.......but then again could be the ribbon cable anyway.....

a rotating front? wots one of them?

looks a bit like this (pic from [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-KDC-W-4031-Car-Stereo/dp/B000BO0FLO"]amazon[/ame])

you have cleaned contacts on the back if so does lcd come on when you apply pressure to the front,ie pushing contacts together

you have cleaned contacts on the back if so does lcd come on when you apply pressure to the front,ie pushing contacts together

thanks. Ive already tried that, didnt use any kind of solution, just a cloth. Occasionally pressing it does appear but not for long.
Dont know if there is anythng specific to use when cleaning contacts.

thanks. Ive already tried that, didnt use any kind of solution, just a cloth. Occasionally pressing it does appear but not for long.
Dont know if there is anythng specific to use when cleaning contacts.

You could use a fine abraisive paper to shine the contacts up m8

You could use a fine abraisive paper to shine the contacts up m8

Only thing I have like that is fine sandpaper!

I just tried to use a q-tip, cleaned it thoroughly and then gave it a go. I had to press around the contacts area but the lcd came up so it appears it is to do with contacts.

Phew, if thats the case, then save me a few bob in getting a replacement.

Thanks guys

you might be able to pull the contactsout a bit but you will have to be carefull,some fine wire wool will cean them up

if its a rotating front could be the ribbon cable.......but then again could be the ribbon cable anyway.....

My last player was a Kenwood with a rotating/detachable face.

Faults with the ribbon cable are common, I bought a new one from EBay and fitted it myself.
--
Glad you got yours sorted pks000

I had this problem with a sony face off, i just tightened the side pins inwards that hold the face on...

thanks guys, will bear all that in mind. Just gave it a quick test but Im not moving off the sofa today as too busy watching f1 and ipl (and a little break on DW!)

Back