engine oil consumption

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
how much engine oil should a 2.2litre straight 6 bmw engine should be drinking. Mileage is 50/50 town and motorway.
Im topping up with 5litres every 5 to 600 miles.
Which is about twice a month. I get the car serviced every 6 months.

None, if you are topping up 5 litres every 500 miles then you definitely have a leak somewhere. When you park overnight do you notice oils spots under the engine in the morning or is it blowing blue smoke when you accelerate ?

I have a BMW straight 6 2.2Ltr and I dont have to touch the oil between the normal Engine services, so suggest you have a very serious problem

No blue smoke or leaks. Oil is clean and filters are clean. Cant seem to locate a cause. Car runs sweet as well.

No blue smoke or leaks. Oil is clean and filters are clean. Cant seem to locate a cause. Car runs sweet as well.

I should bloody hope so as well being ur pretty much changing it every 5-600 miles lol :p

You have to either be dropping the oil or burning it mate :s it has to be one or the other, there is no where else it can go... not that amount anyway. I would guess your burning it, but at that rate im pretty sure you would notice it on acceleration with a cloud behind you..

May I suggest you put a flat packed cardboard box under ur front wheels when you park, positioned directly under the engine. Then check the following day to see if there is any oil present.

Check the sump nut underneath, if your oil is changed that much someone may not have tightened it properly or crushed the seal?.

It's stated by BMW that a normal car loses/ burns about 1L of oil per 1000 Miles, some are slightly more some slightly less, but it does depend on a lot of factors.

That said I for example haven't topped up in 10,000 Miles on a 3.0d.

Your using way too much.

if you cant see a drip it maybe beacuse the scratch plates that sit under all newer cars is catching it all and dumping when your driving
get it off and have a look

if you cant see a drip it maybe beacuse the scratch plates that sit under all newer cars is catching it all and dumping when your driving
get it off and have a look

That is a very good point. Will do that over the weekend. Didnt think of that. Hopefully it is just a leak. Although i thought it be picked up during the last 2 services.
I just thought this was normal consumption then started to wonder.

This is really baffeling me now.
Took all the plates off and it was obvious that there is a leak. The underneath was filthy. I thought it was the seal around the sump but after cleaning it and topping it up with oil i left it running to see where its leaking from. Low and behold after 3 hours theres no leak. Been driving it about so will see if it leaks while driving. Its dark now so will be in the morning.

leave it over night mate and have a look
will be able to tell at least front or back

Its the front right under the sump. 5 w 40 the standard. I used to use the castrol stuff but it kept burning it up so using cheap stuff now till i get it sorted. Left it warm left it cold and left it running. No leak lol
I left all the plates off.

i have 330ci 2000 and had a oil leak for sometime, had to give up work as i have health problems but last week before i did i stayed at work and found it lol Im a mechanic by trade!!

So worth a look and take the air filter and box and look down the side of the engine with a good light, mine is the oil filter house to block gasket tbh there is a few leaks it could be like rocker gasket etc.

got to be worth a look

Jason :D

Will have to google where and what they are lol im crap with cars. Computers are my thing but will have a look. At least the bottom of the engine is nice and shiny now.

It could be your oil pressure switch that would leak when your engine is under load so you will need to over rev while somebody checks this switch. find your oil filter and the switch should be near it.

So far no leaks lol will be driving it to work and back tomorrow on the motorway....see what happens.

I guess you didnt take out the airfiler box then lol, need to find how high the oil leak is mate not wait for it to leak :p

I good drive might show the leak on the floor but still wont show where from if its high.

Wish i was well enough to sort my leak out, fingers crossed maybe in a few months

Back