Police dogs die in parked vehicle

fisco2001

Inactive User
Reaction score
Two police dogs have died in a hot vehicle parked outside the headquarters of Nottinghamshire Police.

An RSPCA officer was called to the Sherwood Lodge headquarters in Arnold on Tuesday and found two German shepherd dogs dead.

An independent vet is carrying out post-mortem tests to establish how the animals died.

The incident has been voluntarily referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

'Swiftly reported'

Nottinghamshire's Assistant Chief Constable, Peter Davies, said: "This is a tragic incident and we value the important work our police dogs carry out on a daily basis.

"That is why we swiftly reported this incident to the RSPCA and we will be working with them very closely."

In a statement Nottinghamshire Police said the welfare of all of its animals was "of paramount importance and we endeavour to take every measure possible to ensure their well-being and safety".

The force refused to say what kind of vehicle was involved.

Nottinghamshire vet Andrew Wilson said: "Dehydration would have been a big factor.

We are investigating and they are co-operating with us
RSPCA spokesman

"They wouldn't be able to cool themselves because panting wouldn't be effective anymore, there would be no evaporation from the tongue.

"As the core temperature rose as a result of that, and the brain temperature rose, the brain would cease to function and various other organs would fail. This happens certainly within 30 minutes."

A spokesman for the IPCC said the "matter had been referred to them on Tuesday afternoon and they were considering it".

An RSPCA spokesman said: "It was reported to us yesterday by Nottinghamshire Police.

"We are investigating and they are co-operating with us.

"I am sure this isn't the first incident and it won't be the last."

Safety measures

Chairman of the Nottinghamshire Police Authority, John Clarke, said: "This is a truly tragic incident. I am deeply disturbed to learn of the deaths of these police dogs, which play such a vital role in the fight against crime.

"The RSPCA has been informed and will, I am sure, carry out a thorough and speedy investigation.

"The authority has asked to be provided at the appropriate time with a full report into the circumstances.

"In the meantime we are requiring a guarantee from the force that measures are being put in place immediately to ensure that an incident like this can never happen again."

The Dogs Trust, the UK's largest dog welfare charity, said it was "saddened" by the news.

In June last year Nottinghamshire Police made a public appeal for German Shepherd dogs to be donated to increase the number of working dogs in the force.

Training a police dog to the standard where it can go out with an officer on patrol costs an estimated £7,000 and involves a nine-week intensive course.

The maximum sentence for causing unnecessary suffering to an animal is six months in prison and a £20,000 fine.

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Nottinghamshire | Police dogs die in parked vehicle

Bastards.....The copper has not even been suspended AND he was OFF duty at the time.

fckn joke, if it was you or I, wonder what would happen eh? The police do actually get away with murder

Should be ashamed, I'd like to see that cnut left in a locked car in that heat, I saw a reporter on the news put a thermometer in a car in the same place and it had hit 47 degrees within half hour, the RSPCA would prosecute anyone else immediately

This line gets me..."The RSPCA has been informed and will, I am sure, carry out a thorough and speedy investigation.
Why? We all know they think they are above the law and can park and do has they please.
the cop should be either sacked now or at least a huge fine and NEVER be allowed to work with animals again.

There is absolutely no excuse for this whatsoever.
What a brainless idiot...

the RSPCA should prosecute him as they would if i did the same with my dog,(6 month inside or a 20 grand fine) on the other hand he could be up on a manslaughter charge as police dogs are classed as police officers, but i bet he just gets a slap on the wrist

Why has this officer not been named and shamed?

If the police had arrested a member of the public for this crime then their name and photo would no doubt be splashed all over the media. These dogs are not the property of the criminal or the organisation in question but the property of the public who pay for their upkeep and their training.
He should be fined to the extent that all costs of replacing these dogs are covered as well as serving an appropriate sentence and being banned from keeping and working with any animal for life.

The problem is that we all know that this will not be the case.

how stupid can you get!? Officer should be named and shamed......

Its not often that I agree with nl86 but he is right.

This is a disgrace, not only the actt but also the fact that they are trying to brush it under the carpet.

he could be up on a manslaughter charge as police dogs are classed as police officers

That'll explain all those coppers I see sniffing each others arses and licking their own balls.

Back