TM7100 HD vs TM800 HD

captainjack

Inactive User
Reaction score
Upgraded 1 of my TM800 HD for the TM7100 HD, I cant believe what a difference this box is.

Everything works straight out of the box & you have twin tuners, in fact it has 3 tuners, meaning you can record 2 channels and watch a third!

Absolutely quality box, looks good, feels good & is a definite buy!

I should think so, it's double the price! :)

Plus it's target audience is considerably different, it's definitely not a hobbyist box by any measure.

they should have waited, and added DVB-T2 to it

but they are completley different 'types' of receiver, the 7100 is as easy to use as the 1000/5000/6000 series as all the menus etc are the same

Not too sure what you mean by its a lot of money and cant do much? What more do you exactly want it to do? Microwave food? Boil hot water? lol

Its a receiver and does exactly what its supposed to! It's HD and you can time-shift & record without any issues, NO audio sync issues either. Yes it's close source software but who cares? How much can you get a box to do with open source?

I've got a DM500 HD the day it came out, so its more evolved than the TM800 HD (just due to timeline) where you can check out Google Maps, Apple Trailers & Youtube but these features are used once in a blue moon so they really add nothing to the box.

I wanted the luxury of watching a different channel whilst recording another one and this is the only box that delivers this essential feature. Costs more no doubt but the benefits and the fact everything works and it can handle a 3.5" drive meaning I can shove a 1TB drive internally is superb.

You pay for what you get and this is worth every penny!

Unless you buy a card though, these wont be patchable soon. Thats what i meant.
A linux box is the answer long term.
VU+ Duo a lot cheaper.
No Terrestrial tuner but who wants one.
Only my opinion.

The box handles CCAM.cfg that'll do the job...

Lol@Terrestrial tuner - was a bit pointless adding that feature but be overkill if they added a 3rd sat tuner.

Like I said if this box is the only box that allows you to record & change then I'll live with the closed source nature. Using SKY for years its become a part of the daily diet of watching.

Remember also 3.5" drives are cheaper, faster in read/write speeds and host larger capacities than the 2.5" drives. With the TM 7100 HD you can fit both size drives inside but with TM800 HD only the 2.5" goes inside. Sure you can connect an external drive to the TM800 HD but its much neater and less of a drain on the power sockets when you have so many connections to the electrical sockets, plus I hate having an external drive on 24HRs.

Last edited:
The box handles CCAM.cfg that'll do the job...

Lol@Terrestrial tuner - was a bit pointless adding that feature but be overkill if they added a 3rd sat tuner.

Like I said if this box is the only box that allows you to record & change then I'll live with the closed source nature. Using SKY for years its become a part of the daily diet of watching.

Remember also 3.5" drives are cheaper, faster in read/write speeds and host larger capacities than the 2.5" drives. With the TM 7100 HD you can fit both size drives inside but with TM800 HD only the 2.5" goes inside. Sure you can connect an external drive to the TM800 HD but its much neater and less of a drain on the power sockets when you have so many connections to the electrical sockets, plus I hate having an external drive on 24HRs.

wots epg like on sky and other sats

As fas as I know all the boxes have crap EPG. This is probably the only area it fails. Whatever you are watching and whats on next is as far as EPG goes unfortunately.

Non-linux generally means poor cam support too (even if it currently handles cccam). captainjacks view that plugins arent important isn't shared with all, its like 50% 50% -no correct answer, some require plugins and extra functions while some dont.

With that said, I understand the view that the TM7100 is the better receiver, since it functions correctly and is developed. Yes it is overpriced so that will put a lot of people off and make them look at other manufacturers. If you have to have a technomate badge then I agree it's an 'upgrade' to have the TM7100 rather than the tm800.

Back