UK's most expensive sheep is dead

totalgenius

Inactive User
Reaction score
Britain's most expensive sheep has died at a farm in north east Scotland after fathering lambs sold for more than £1m.

Tophill Joe broke all records when he was bought by a consortium of farmers for £128,000 six years ago.

The Texel ram was valued for his perfectly-shaped head and legs, tight skin and top-quality fleece.

_46177138_tophilljoe.jpg

Tophill Joe's owners recouped their investment many times over

His owners at Fyvie, near Turriff, Aberdeenshire, said recent hot weather in the area may have contributed to the sheep's demise.

Many of Tophill Joe's offspring picked up prizes at the prestigious Royal Highland Show.

Co-owner, Bruce Mair, said: "He had particularly good characteristics. He was active right up until the end.

"He could be a bit of a pain sometimes - he had an aggressive streak, particularly during the mating season, but he will be missed.

"Sadly, he didn't survive the very hot weather. The hot weather is tough going for a ram and this summer had some very hot spells."

Tophill Joe is believed to have been six-year-old when he died.

Texel sheep originate from the island of Texel, off Holland, and have been known since Roman times.

They were introduced to Britain in the 1970s, and are renowned for their lean meat.

BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | North East/N Isles | UK's most expensive sheep is dead

sorry to hear that digidude,my thoughts are with you and your flock :roflmao:

ooohhhhhhhhh no i loved that sheep.......lmao

He was a handsome sheep.. surely they have kept some of his offspring in the hope there will be more like him?? how id love to of owned that sheep.. "yes sir you may let my ram roger your sheep. that'l be £100k please"

i bet his owners feel so baaaad

i'll get my coat

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Break out the mint sauce..yum,yum..

Back