Lawnmower knackered?

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys got a flymo 380 turbo compact lawnmower...was working fine , till the other day it just stopped working..thought it was the switch , so bought a working switcbox assembly from ebay..still didn't work..so I'm assuming it's the motor..checked the fuses and cable for damage all fine, tried a different power outlet, still not working...any ideas how to check the motor? Ive got a multimeter..Before I discard it. Had it for over 13 years ..ta

Hi guys got a flymo 380 turbo compact lawnmower...was working fine , till the other day it just stopped working..thought it was the switch , so bought a working switcbox assembly from ebay..still didn't work..so I'm assuming it's the motor..checked the fuses and cable for damage all fine, tried a different power outlet, still not working...any ideas how to check the motor? Ive got a multimeter..Before I discard it. Had it for over 13 years ..ta
Two ways 1 check the resistance over the motor windings but perhaps a more conclusive way is to check that power is getting to the motor using your multimeter. If you are getting 240v assuming it’s mains operated to the motor the it would rule in that it is a motor fault.
Also the fact you have tried a new switch assembly would suggest the capacitor in the switch assembly is not the fault. Assuming the one in the replacement switch wasn’t faulty. 🙁. You could take a punt on replacing that capacitor. £7 ish on Amazon or screwfix

Last edited:
Two ways 1 check the resistance over the motor windings but perhaps a more conclusive way is to check that power is getting to the motor using your multimeter. If you are getting 240v assuming it’s mains operated to the motor the it would rule in that it is a motor fault.
Also the fact you have tried a new switch assembly would suggest the capacitor in the switch assembly is not the fault. Assuming the one in the replacement switch wasn’t faulty. 🙁. You could take a punt on replacing that capacitor. £7 ish on Amazon or screwfix
Definitely second this. More often than not its a switch or something that went bad. Had an issue with my weedeater and thought the worst, turned out to be a very inexpensive switch I got off Amazon.

Well if it was me.

Motors are simple things id just put power to it directly. Plug it in with the mains switch off and flick it on.

Youll have your answer very quickly.

Guys need more instructions on how to do this...I'm.assuming if I connect the multimeter to the ends of the power cable I should get a reading of 240v? Does the start handles need to be pressed 🤔? Don't wanna electrocute myself 🤔

Attachments

• 20240421_162051.jpg
    20240421_162051.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
  • 20240421_162843.jpg
    20240421_162843.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
Guys need more instructions on how to do this...I'm.assuming if I connect the multimeter to the ends of the power cable I should get a reading of 240v? Does the start handles need to be pressed 🤔? Don't wanna electrocute myself 🤔
The motor will only receive power when it would be "on" which would need the handle depressed I would assume (or however you would be when operating it). It should cut off when handle is released.

Definitely be careful when doing this, 240v does not feel good.

Apparently, I am too new to download your pictures, so I am working only off the grainy thumbnail. So hard to see the details on the motor to confirm where to test.

The motor will only receive power when it would be "on" which would need the handle depressed I would assume (or however you would be when operating it). It should cut off when handle is released.

Definitely be careful when doing this, 240v does not feel good.

Apparently, I am too new to download your pictures, so I am working only off the grainy thumbnail. So hard to see the details on the motor to confirm where to test.
IMG_3479.jpeg

Yep wire it directly to a plug and plug it in turn power switch on and off briefly if it spins the problem is elsewhere.

Doing it that way you know you have power to the motor no need for a meter.
Ta will try that 👍

If you can get your meter probes pushed into the connectors to the motor set it to ac volts and pull in the start lever. If it reads 240v then the motors humped don’t touch any shiny bits whist doing this 😊

Looking at the photo you could try changing the motor brushes. They are pretty cheap. Google your model number etc for brushes.

OK guys looks like a new lawnmower coming up. Power going to motor..was gonna see if brushes are worn out but screws impossible to remove , rusted too much...to remove motor..see pics

Attachments

• 20240501_092049.jpg
    20240501_092049.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 20240501_094208.jpg
    20240501_094208.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
The brushes are right there on top sides of the motor and it looks like one of them is worn as it doesnt stick out as much as the other, but if they are soldered in it can be a bugger to get them out, unless your good at soldering of course :)

Thanks guys for your help..working now.
@sneaker ...you were right , as you can see in one of the pictures I posted , one of the carbon brushes had managed to push it self out. I simply pulled it out to check the carbon brushes , the carbon brushes are held in a complete housing, with the spring inside. I thought I'd check the other side out but couldn't see how to pull out the complete housing unit?🤔...anyway the one that was sticking out and I pulled out seemed fine..I pushed it back in , fired up the lawnmower and hey Presto working again. The carbon brush housing must have worked itself loose over time but all good now. Until when I need to replace the carbon brushes, how I'm gonna get them out again..😳

Attachments

• 20240502_075111.jpg
    20240502_075111.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 9
This side carbon brush housing I couldn't remove..not sure how to..tried wedging and pulling it out with two thin flat screwdrivers but wouldn't budge so I could inspect the carbon brush , but since the other side was popping out and I checked that brush, it looked good..so assuming this side to be good too..😀

Attachments

• 20240502_075748.jpg
    20240502_075748.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 9
On the one that's stuck you can see there is 4 clips that keep the brush and sprin in place , just bend them straight and it will come out. Then you probably could remove the housing out with some long nose pliers?

Back