Kryptview needs a bit more work

black_arab

Inactive User
Reaction score
Firstly thanks to tmc for his help.

There are a few annoying problems with this box at the moment. Some are just minor and easily fixed I think, but some are driving me mad....

EPG does not work very well, maybe it is area dependant at the moment but it very hit and miss at the moment. After my box has been on for about 20 minutes the epg starts to disappear its as if the memory is full???? If I turn the box off and leave it for a minute or so then turn it back on the epg comes back but even then there are lots of gaps in it or showing "no information available".
When viewing the epg you cannot watch the channel you are allready watching. The missus found this particularly annoying as she likes to have a quick look whats on during the adverts etc
Minor problems that should be easy to sort out....
In 16:9 mode i loose about an inch off the picture cropped off.
No favs button
Autoscan changes the way the channels are sorted. A simple fix is to disable the autoscan feature.
On a positive note..
I like the looks of the box. It looks similar to my mates Fortec Star.
Scan was quite quick and found the channels with no problem
No freezing

I don't think its a bad box but I do think a few things need sorting out for it to compare with other boxes on the market.

Hi black_arab thanks for your feedback some of the concerns you have raised are already been looked at. The epg is causing some problems in some areas. The way the epg is displayed is being worked on as well. The channel map is also being worked on and as for the powerscan there is a disable in the other settings part of the menu. The red button is the fav button ( sorry its not marked on the remote).

tmc

few new flash for it is been tested I have been told. But not sure what improvements they include until the weekend. Will keep everyone updated as soon as I find out.

tmc

From what i've seen of the EPG it uses the 7 day PVR listing instead of the normal EPG streams. I guess that means its a new innovation rather than a port of previous code which makes it pretty likely that you'll find a bug or two in the initial firmware versions.

TMC seems to be taking feedback so i'm sure these minor teething problems will be addressed soon.

EPG format is rather more difficult and, tbh, is really down to personal taste. You reckon you prefer a format that allows TV viewing whilst reading the listings but many people, myself included, prefer a clean unclutered listing as per the SKY EPG (which I actually think is the best TV EPG mechanism around (Yes, I know its Sky but even evil megacorporations occasionally have a good idea) ). Maybe whats needed is an user controlled option to select EPG format from a few different choices but I'd guess thats a wish-list thing for later after the real bugs have been ironed out !

Blackarab the 16:9 issue can be sorted (I think) if you press the blue button on the remote.

Sounds like just another hacked freeview box with endless promises of improvement. What will be the telling sign is if it goes off with the starviews at keyroll change. And I'm convinced it is made by Fortec star. Too many coincidences for me including the loader being the same as the Fortec Star innovative.

.....What will be the telling sign is if it goes off with the starviews at keyroll change.

Nothing particularly telling about that !

All of these boxes use very similar emulators pretty much all derived from the same basic source code (initially Dbox code I believe). Although a lot is known about Nagra1 now Kudelski are still more than capable of throwing a spanner in the works. No emulator is ever 100% and you cant predict what Kudelski are going to do next !

Sounds like just another hacked freeview box with endless promises of improvement. What will be the telling sign is if it goes off with the starviews at keyroll change. And I'm convinced it is made by Fortec star. Too many coincidences for me including the loader being the same as the Fortec Star innovative.

well its passed the keyroll change as keys rolled this morning, took my box about 30secs to get new keys

Kryptview and digivox both auto-updated with key roll today :)

my digivox didnt auto update 2day still trying to get it working w/yorkshire

well its passed the keyroll change as keys rolled this morning, took my box about 30secs to get new keys

The Eurovox also took 30 secs to update keys which was very surprising as it used to take at least 2 minutes to get the new key. They may have fixed this in the latest update.

As the keyroll is identical to the last one I'd be suprised if any of the boxes failed to update this time !

Whether or not a particular box goes off after a new keyroll type is pretty irrelevant though (regardless of how annoying it is to you personally). The fact of the matter is that nobody can predict what the Kudelski guys will do next so no one can guarantee anything.

Its not a matter of IF your box will go off its a matter of WHEN and when it does, how long it takes to fix !

But the fact is Eurovox, Dreambox, Dbox will PROBABLY last a LOT longer than the rest

But the fact is Eurovox, Dreambox, Dbox will PROBABLY last a LOT longer than the rest

Why would you think that ?

The Emulation code is all effectively based on the same source code. The dbox/dreambox emulation code isn't normally opensource either so if any fix is required then you will still have to wait for somebody else to fix it (assuming that they are interested).

End of the day, the Eurovox/Dbox/Dreambox has as much chance of getting hit as any other box. It really isn't that difficult to break one of these (or any of the other) boxes. I could easily code half a dozen Emm's off the top of my head that would fail to roll on these boxes. I'm sure Kudelski cold easily do the same thing if they put their mind to it !

I can only base it on facts. I am no expert but the starviews go approx 3 months as well as Ddigital, Digivox etc. Replay lite lasted a year ( quite acceptable though). Eurovox 2 been going for last 2 years without prob as well as Dbox2 and dream.

You may well be right in what you are saying about how easy it COULD be to affect these too but the FACT is that the cc DONT.

DON'T ... up to now.

Can you see the future ... if so can I have next weeks lottery numbers. ho hum.

Back